August 19, 2012

Food Trucks at the Jets Game


Not only did the New York Jets host their first home game of the '12-'13 season on Saturday, but they also debuted their newest edition to gameday fare at Metlife Stadium.  They're calling it Food Truck City and it's a collection of some of New York City's favorite food trucks.  The trucks in attendance included Kelvin Natural Slush, Nuchas Empandas, and Rickshaw Dumpling (other favorites like Mexicue and Schnitzel and Things are planning on making appearances in the future).  Check it out after the jump.

The trucks were lined up next to each other over near the main gate to the stadium.  Let me tell you, these trucks really add a new dimension to the tailgating experience.  Gone are the days of blistered hot dogs and frozen burgers - Food Truck City ups the ante.  First up was the Rickshaw Dumpling truck.  They were offering 3 varieties of dumplings that you can see in the menu below.



I sampled one of each of the dumplings (for completeness of course) and I left completely satisfied.  The edamame had a creamy filling that bursted with edamameness.  The chicken came mixed with glass noodles as an added surprise.  It was light and tasty with the basil really coming through at the end.  Oh, and the peanut sate dip was so good that if they canned it, you might see me shotgunning that instead of a Bud Light.  My favorite of the trifecta had to be the pork.  Dumplings were made for pork and the fat from the pork kept these guys nice and juicy.  The soy dip was exactly what I crave when I'm eating my dumplings and it was the perfect compliment to cut through some of the richness of the pork.

 
Next up was the Nuchas Empandas truck.  The lovely ladies from Nuchas were dishing out empandas five ways and I had my eye set on the Argentine.  I've never been able to turn down Lafrieda beef and I wasn't about to start.


The filling in the Argentine (which is always my preference over saying Argentinean for those of you counting)  was essentially a delicious picadillo.  The vegetables married joyously with the super flavorful beef, and it was all tucked inside a lusciously light empanada crust.  I will definitely be back to try out the rest.


Finally, to wash it all down, I headed over to Kelvin Natural Slush (named after the Kelvin scale, but I'm sure you guys already checked your 7th grade science books to refresh your memory).  Kelvin always has there three basic slushes that they flavor with their fresh mix-ins.



I didn't even see the "Game Day Special - Gang Green Palmer" before my friend ushered me towards a ginger mint slush, but I'm glad he did.  The ginger and mint combo was wonderfully refreshing on a hot day and the slush wasn't too sweet.  I had several brain freezes in the minutes that followed.



So next time you're at a Jets game, check out Food Truck City for sure.  It's a unique experience that you won't find anywhere else, and it will definitely bring your tailgate to a whole new level.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun post-- everything sounds absolutely delish. Great job on your site, Jason. :D

    ReplyDelete